8.22.2003

I recommend checking out the latest issue of Let Them Eat Lead, an online zine. While it can sometimes be spotty, as a lot of over-obsessed music fans write lengthy histories of stuff no one cares about... this issue has some really quality writing.

There's an interview with everyone's favorite, The Realistics. Dennis has some really cool things to say about art and the city.

There's a review of Fever to Tell. While this may not be current, it's worth reading because IT'S THE ONLY REVIEW I'VE READ WHERE THE WRITER ISN'T ABSOLUTLEY, COMPLETELY WRONG. The material is fantastic, their live show is fantastic, and when they recorded it they made it really bland.

And what brought my attention to this issue is Modern Age posting about the article she wrote. It's about the degradation of music journalism. As usual, she brings up a lot of important, valid points. Namely, when people write about music today, they fail to do it with any passion whatsoever, and they take themselves way too seriously.
I think the worst part of the press is how they not only talk about the same press-release BS that everyone in the music press will bring up about certain bands, the press talks about how the press always says the same thing, which in itself is saying the same thing...
I think Miss Modern Age could've mentioned SOME music that is worth getting excited about; not allll bands today are simply about having fun performances with uninspired music. I, for one, find mega-inspiration in the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, even if they put so much focus on having a good time. But she was writing to prove a point, and she did a good job.
Oh yeah, and I think she should've gone with her instincts and wrote about how hip-hop is the only music-form evolving at an exciting rate. Timbaland and the Neptunes are definitely doing something really amazing. They manage to make innovative, exciting music that is both smart AND accepted by the mainstream. Yeah.

In case some of you are thrown off by longer posts... I'm doing some reevaluating of what this site is supposed to be. I never was really into typical blogging stuff, mainly because I'm terrible about linking the latest stuff the quickest. The site is more of way for me to get my ideas on music and music culture out to the world. And plus I'm in the process of moving... so we'll see what happens. Does anyone actually care that much?

Listening: Beyonce, Dangerously in Love; The Gossip, Movement

No comments: