1.16.2004

Desperate Youth

2004 is already off to a running start. I told you that TV on the Radio was going to kick ass this year, but I didn't know it was going to be so soon. As indicated by Pitchfork's review of the song "Poppy" and a helpful reader's comments, the group's debut album Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes has leaked onto your favorite file-sharing services. After a few listens... what can I say? Effing awesome.

Pitchfork interviewed DAS of TVOTR (enough acronyms?) for today's news, particularly about the new record's more "lo-fi" sound. While I think the sound on this record isn't as huge and polished as the EP, and there is some notable difference, the songs definitely don't lack the EP's intensity. The recordings are a bit more comparable to the band's live show. So no worries.

As if one huge album leak wasn't enough, Franz Ferdinand's self-titled debut LP is also making the rounds. I haven't had a bunch of time to hear it, but I'm anxious to. First impressions: British, and ...disco?

And as I had predicted, I'm still making my way through the tons of records released from 2003 (thank you file-sharing (the RIAA should be happy, this only means more records for me to try out and then buy)). For the past week I have been rocking The Unicorns fantastic album Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone? A lot has already been said about them, since they played two shows in NYC and all the bloggers got a chance to see them. Some liked em, some didn't. (Jinners caught em on video) I am really looking forward to catching them when I get back to Minneapolis this Monday.

Ted Leo is the star of an upcoming DVD called Dirty Old Town. The film focuses mainly on and around his Siren Fest performance last year (which I actually missed... gahdamn Sahara Hotnights... needed a good spot for Hot Hot Heat). It features a ton of extra footage, including performances, so it should be pretty rad.

The Darkness is turning out to be one of the few Brit bands who manages to make it here in the US. Permission to Land has gone up to number 40 on the Billboard charts. The best part of it is the band's attitude. Says frontman Justin Hawkins: "It's like the three stages of rabies. First people fear us, then they start foaming at the mouth because they want us. And then they start attacking other people."

Link from Coolfer [currently run by information leaf blower]

We here at Soviet Panda approve of The Darkness. Moreso if you're intoxicated while listening.

Casa de Punk is back.

And if you haven't already, check out Jay's fantastic concert photos at Disquieter.

No comments: