1.21.2004

TAKE ME OUT

I finally got to use my beloved iPod on campus today. Walking to class in the ungodly frozen temperatures and waiting for a bus that never came was made immensely more enjoyable by strutting to the new Franz Ferdinand LP.

However, I felt like a massive tool at the same time. As soon as I got inside, literally within a minute I had seen three pairs of white head phones, all indicative of iPods. Man, that made me feel dorky. Seems like everyone and their grandmother got one for Chanukah (or whatever holidays your family may choose to celebrate). In defense, I would use a different pair of headphones, but the supplied ones are actually incredibly decent. The sound quality, especially for earbud headphones, is really good, and they are small enough to fit in my pocket, which means (unlike other portable audio players) I will actually use it. End stupid iPod rant. (If you're jealous, just know that me and my roomate have been lusting after the little white box for months)

Speaking of Franz Ferdinand, I have listened to the new album three times today. Andy was right when he said that it's "SO FUCKING GOOD". It's danceable without sounding like they're trying to be. The instrumental performances are great, with tight drum beats and all over the place guitars, and I love this guy's voice. He switches from Ian Curtis/Paul Banks-like stateliness to a soft whisper in a second. Most of all, the song-writing is top-notch. Hooks galore, danciness, a better incorporation of disco in the rhythm section than even the Rapture, and every song walks this thin line of insanely tight arrangements and crazy out of control playing. I can't wait to get an actual copy.

I've also rocked The Unicorns LP 1.5 times today. The show on Monday was really solid (once the unannounced two crappy openers finally stopped). Despite the Unicorns obvious discontent with being in Minnesota, when they actually decided to play, they did a great job of bringing the record to life. And while most bands fail miserably at stage-banter, this band's on-stage talking rivaled their music. It was hilarious. We didn't get a Unicorn prancing around on stage, but the guy did pretend to be homeless and heckled the band.

I didn't get any photos, but Jay has posted hers from their recent gigs in NYC. I definitely need a better camera before I start taking one to shows again.

Lastly, at the risk of coming off as a fan-site, TV on the Radio has announced tour dates, with more on the way. Yeah Yeah Yeahs also have a tentative schedule on their site, but it looks like I won't be able to make the Tuesday show in Chicago. They better freaking decided to come to Minneapolis; if not, this will be the first US tour of theirs that I miss.

Stay tuned for a redesign of the site. I've been geeking it up all afternoon. So close... so close.

No comments: