4.22.2004

C'MON DJ

My DJ set last night on Radio K:
    Songs I chose:
    The White Stripes "Death Letter"
    Ride "Vapour Trail"
    The Libertines "Up the Bracket"
    The Faint "Let the Poison Spill from your Throat"
    The Strokes "The Modern Age"
    Japanther "Supertap"
    The Von Bondies "C'mon C'mon"
    Van Morrison "Moondance"
    Walt Mink "Evertyhing Worthwhile"
    Idlewild "A Modern Way of Letting Go"

    Rotation songs I liked:
    Murs "3:16"
    Toots and the Maytals "Blame On Me"
    onelinedrawing "Over It"
    The Hold Steady "Hostile, Mass."
    Seachange "No Questions"
    Mr. Airplane Man "C'mon DJ"
    Ela "Razorblade"

    Song that surprisingly blew:
    The Ponys "Fall Inn"
I was super surprised when I played Mr. Airplane Man's "C'mon DJ" and read a little bit about them. If you know me, you know I have bigger-than-small obsessions with two other blues duos. How on earth could there be a blues/garage-rock duo I hadn't heard of? Let alone one made up of two girls!



That's what websites like this are for. While I may have sufferred in ignorance, you, dear reader, no longer have to. Mr. Airplane Man is a brooding bluesy guitar and drums band from Boston. They've had a number of releases, the most recent of which is the LP C'mon DJ, out on Sympathy for the Record Industry. All I have to go on right now are the mp3s from their site; luckily, they are a smart band and have a lot of them posted. I highly recommend starting with the title track, "C'mon DJ". The band isn't as rocking as The Stripes and isn't as intense as The Kills, but are worth checking out in their own murky right.

No comments: