7.08.2004

A.K.A. I-D-I-O-T

The band I'm arguably looking forward to seeing the most at Siren Fest this year is The Fiery Furnaces. I really can't wait to see how on earth their constantly evolving, detailed, jumbled sound is translated into a live setting. How do the band members know when to switch songs mid-song? Lately, I've been listening to their debut album, Gallowsbird's Bark. It would probably make more sense for me to try and dissect their new LP, Blueberry Boat, which I've had for at least a month, but the first album is daunting enough! Blueberry Boat, besides sporting thirteen tracks, some of which are ten minutes in length, has the absolute longest All Music review I have ever seen, even longer than Beatles albums or Joy Division box sets. I'll let you know when I get to it.

Thanks to my job, I have a lot more time to listen to music I might otherwise not get a chance to hear and dissect. Today, I listened to Radio 4's new album, Stealing of a Nation, on the train ride to work. I was appalled: it's mind-numbingly terrible. I fell asleep listening to it, and it's supposed to be dance music.
Now, don't get me wrong: I count myself as a Radio 4 fan. They've got some great tracks with memorable bass lines (and sometimes laughably political lyrics). Seeing them at last year's Siren, I was amazed by their drummer; he was like a human drum machine, capable of countless, ultra-precise beats hand-crafted to make you shake it.
For some reason, Radio 4 chose crappy euro-pop-dance as an influence on this record. The production absolutely kills it: inane lyrics are pushed to the front, while their usually great basslines barely have a pulse, the guitar "hooks" are echoed beyond recognition, and, worst of all, the drums are all replaced by an actual drum machine. I don't know what they were thinking; maybe the car commercial they did was their only musical inspiration of late. I'd post a track (the only semi-memorable one is "The Death of American Radio") but it wouldn't be worth it.

One album that I have played all the way through more than once in the past few days has been The Bronx's self-titled debut. I'm a little late with this one, as it came out last year, but it is thoroughly enjoyable. It's the kind of sound you either love or hate, and I usually hate bands that could be considered hardcore. However, on this record, this L.A. band's sound comes off as all punk. Fast beats, blaring guitars, screamed lyrics, all expertly combined with a really strong sense of melody. Check out the hilarious video for "They Will Kill Us All (Without Mercy)".

As you can see on the updated concert calendar, The Bronx will be going on tour this summer and playing two (possibly three) dates at the Fireside. Unfortunately, if I go see them, it means suffering through a few really crappy bands and their devoted fans. We'll see.

Also, since he turned me on to The Bronx, I'd like to plug Coolfer. His site has definitely been the most interesting music blog around these past couple of weeks, and it has definitely saved me from a boring death while surfing the net at work.

While I'm at it, I won't forget to mention The Hives' excellent new single, "Walk Idiot Walk". I never would have thought they could top "Hate To Say I Told You So" as a single, but man... the Hives are law, you are crime, and they did it. The guitar line sounds like something from a hundred new wave songs, and the beat is so infectious it almost gets annoying. Just when you're about to get sick of it... it keeps going, and you like it. You can listen to the song or watch the video here.

Finally, Lollapalooza is mentioned in today's new article on McSweeny's. I recommend reading it (Lollapalooza is at the bottom).

3 comments:

happyweasel said...

check out this link, The Fiery Furnaces live, about 35 mins or so... RealAudio...starts in earnest 42sec in. Probably my favorite thing to listen to right now. It is easy to record it to MP3. Have seen them live twice, January and May here in Seattle. While they were very good both times, they were significantly better in May. You're in for a treat in NY. Great band.
enjoy
http://pages.vpro.nl/3voor12/events/default/smil/audioparts.sram?2534202+14692676+14692873+14775024

Anonymous said...

Aren't you in Chicago? You should have seen the Fiery Furnaces/Pony's show about a month ago at Metro! Don't forget to get to the Siren Fest early to check out The Ponys, Peter.

Sovietpanda said...

yeah, i should've been there. didn't make it... unfortunately.

i've seen the ponys before. they were all right, but wore pretty thin pretty fast.